One thing that happened once I went paleo was that my taste buds changed. I never used to have a sweet tooth but once I eliminated refined sugars from my diet, I started craving them like crazy! One quick solution I found was this chocolate bark recipe.
- 1/3 lb Chocolate (You can buy raw cacao nibs or 85% + cacao chocolate from a store)
- 2 T Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 2/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Variations that I’ve tried: dried apricots, cinnamon dusted on top, small cooked bacon pieces, a sea salt dusting, dried pineapple.
- If you’re like me and don’t have a double boiler, grab a glass bowl and place the chocolate and coconut oil in it.
- Fill a saucepan about 1/2 full with water and place your glass bowl inside, burner on medium-high. The water will boil, causing the contents to melt. Add more coconut oil if the chocolate does not become somewhat runny (you want to be able to pour out the chocolate). Warning: this step can get messy!
- While the chocolate is melting, assemble your cranberries, almonds, and coconut flakes onto a sheet of foil.
- Once the chocolate is melted, simply pour it over the mixture on the foil. Some people like to leave it as-is and some blend it up. I blended it this time.
- Toss it into a plastic bag and then into the freezer for about 30 min or until it becomes hardened. Break it apart & store in the freezer for a quick little sweet snack!
The chocolate is so dark that a little goes a long way! I usually make up a big batch like this and I’ve kept it for 5-6 weeks…depending on the need for chocolate!